[ale] Legal Requirements for small business consulting

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Nov 14 20:21:22 EST 2003

I have paid neither a bean counter or an attorney, but I wasn't getting into
a lot of $$ from it. If you are under $50K/yr you can just put it on your
taxes and go from there. That is what I was advised by an accountant and a
small business owner (who has both an attorney and an accountant). This was
supplanted by several guys/gals at work (I work for a financial services
company so I am surrounded by CPA types).

Any more or if you are doing anything where you can expect to be sued, get
something to keep you house i.e. an LLC or such.  I do only GPL consulting -
mainly free-er(lots of friends and family rates) and with only my word as a
warranty.  2 things I would advise are to 1) get some $$ up front and 2) get
familar with small claims court in GA.

Greg