[ale] Migrating CVS

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 14 10:02:16 EST 2003

Ray, ALErs -

On 14 Nov 2003, Ray Knight wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:24, John Mills wrote:
> > Hi, Matthew -
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Matthew Brown wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone here ver migrated a cvsrep from one server to another?  How
> > > to do it?

> > If it's a matter of keeping multiple repositories in synch, look into
> > 'rsync'.

> CVSup at http://www.cvsup.org was designed for this.  It makes use of
> rsync, but understands CVS so can be more efficient.  I believe it could
> prove especially useful for migrating a repository.

I looked into CVSup when I considered 'rsync' and agree it looks good - I
use it as a client when I update FreeBSD: that's the normal method in that
world. I leant toward 'rsync' when I was setting up CVS because it looked
very simple to set up. I vaugely recall there may have been some
'push/pull' preferences if one had to work through a firewall, but not if
they were significant. Ultimately I used neither because I really needed
backup and not multiple repositories.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu