[ale] OT Laptop pref

George Johnson gljay at netzero.net
Fri Nov 14 04:40:04 EST 2003

Stephen Turner wrote:

>yea well i decided to hold out as long as i can till i really need one.
>then see whats out. im not really satisfied with any of the laptops. i
>really had my heart out for the mac the way they boasted it (being 3 times
>faster than p4 equivs) but then i realize that the mac compared to new
>cpus really aint much faster if any. the mac laptops look sweet and sounds
>sweet but according to 3rd party tests performs just like amd vs intel,
>better in some respects worse in others. however ive now gotten curious
>about this pentium M, they say it whips the g4 in single cpu tests. altho
>the mhz is higher :-p by the sounds of it a nice 2ghz M processor would
>really be nice but then the price is way up there with mac and the laptops
>include that cintrino package that doesnt work with linux GRRRRR YOU HEAR
>ME INTEL? and even then they dont have a lotta goodies, but ive seen a few
>:D running 3k+ but anyways. Is the pentium M all they claim? faster than
>g4 (1.6ghz pentium vs 1.25 g4) and more power conservative? has anyone
>been playing with that and linux?
>
>=====
>**  computers are a lot like air conditioners, they stop working properly once you open windows **

Basically I held out as long as I could too.  I finally needed to
upgrade from my Toshiba Tecra 720 which is a 133MHz Pent.  I did not
really think it was worth it to go for a highend system so I tested a
Toshiba Satellite system with  Celeron 2.4GHz processor.  It worked with
no problems with Knoppix 3.3 in the store so I bought it for $899.  It
runs all the games I have put on it so far along with the real estate
software I need to start my new career.  I really did not think that
spending $2k or more on a laptop was worth it IMHO.

George