[ale] Migrating CVS

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at nubridges.com
Thu Nov 13 11:29:56 EST 2003

Yep. I have actually physically done this.
rsync(1) Is Your Friend.

The last thang I had to do close to this was to replicate (not migrate)
a cvs repository to a new machine so a separate set of developers could
work on it and take the whole code base in a new direction. We copied
the repository over, cut out a bunch of cruft which we didn't want to
take onto the new project, edited the appropriate files in the CVSROOT
directory, and made sure that  $CVSROOT was set correctly for everyone
who would work on it. Everything is fine -- I can even work on the two
separate repositories on the same machine and account. As long as you're
careful about what repository you're pointed to, you should see no
troubles.

I wrote a script which will change both $CVSROOT and PS1, so I could be
sure I understood which repository I was talking to at any given time.
Here's my simple-minded script (the repository lives on a machine called
"polonium"). Run from the "." of course, since it is supposed to change
symbols.

CVSROOT=':pserver:cshapiro at polonium.nubridges.net:/home/cvs'
export CVSROOT
POLONIUMSIGN='!POLONIUMCVS> '
if ! echo $PS1 | grep $POLONIUMSIGN > /dev/null
then
	PS1={$PS1}${POLONIUMSIGN}
fi

-- CHS