[ale] USB pen drive killed?

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Thu Nov 13 08:13:45 EST 2003

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Yes, but you have to work at it a bit.
>
> Here's how to create an automount icon for the KDE desktop:
>
> 1. you are going to have to add a line to fstab, if it isn't
> already there. Mine looks like this -- all on one line:
>

> /dev/sda1  /mnt/widget   vfat
> noauto,owner,nodev,gid=users,uid=nobody,quiet,umask=2 0 0
>
> The OS recognizes my pen drive (which I call widget) as <sda1>
> and you will have to determine where yours shows up, probably
> sda<something>.
>
> I created the directory /mnt/widget.  You might prefer /mnt/pendrive
> Whatever.
>
> 2. then take a look at /etc/auto.misc and (as root) add the
> appropriate line to that file.  Mine looks like this:
>
> widget	-fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,gid=users,uid=nobody,umask=2
> :/dev/sda1   [NOTE: there must be whitespace between the options list
> and the address beginning with the ":"  Also note that the "widget"
> is the NAME of the device.  That could be Bob, or Daniel, or pendrive --
> anything you like.
>
> 3.  Now right click on the KDE desktop, then >Create New > Link to
> application. Open the "Execute" tab and add this line to the command
> block:  kfmclient openProfile filemanagement file:///misc/*
> You might want to cut and paste that line as spacing and capitalization
> are critical. Then replace the "*" with the "name" of the device as
> specified in /etc/auto.misc  In the example above the "name" is
> "widget"
>
> 4.  Only one small, tricky bit left. The standard delay on unmounting
> a file system is 5 minutes or  300 seconds and I assume you don't want
> to wait that long. So, as root, open in an editor /etc/auto.master
> and look for a line like this:
>    </misc     /etc/auto.misc>
>
> edit that line so it looks like this:
>
>    /misc     /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=1     [that's two spaces between
> the .misc and the --]
>
> That will cut the delay on unmounting the file  system to one second.
>
> All that's left is replacing the stock icon. Right click on the icon
> and open the Properties dialog box and click on the icon as shown in
> the dialog box. That will bring up a list of icons. Pick one.
>
> You're done. Next time, plug in the pendrive and click on your desktop
> icon. You should have access to the drive. Just remember to CLOSE the
> window (and thereby unmount the drive) BEFORE unplugging the thing.
>
> Hope this helps.

I will try this soon....thanks for the info!

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.