[ale] Video Editing Software?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Nov 11 23:26:48 EST 2003

On Monday 10 November 2003 18:08, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:14, Fulton Green wrote:
> > And Cinelerra, along with a few other video-for-Linux apps, have been
> > RPMed by Stanford's CCRMA:
> >
> > http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/videoapps.html
> Thanks for the link!! I had not seen Ayam before. I figured out it is a
> reverse of the big package Maya.
>
> Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but I do have the entire Alias/Wavefront
> and Lightwave 3D for Irix (and the dual CPU/dual GPU Octane to run them
> on). Now if I only had time and any artistic ability what so ever...

I can help you learn Lightwave thanks to all my years as an Amiga aficionado,
desktop multi media maverick and Videot Savant. I used to do freelance work
with it and taught it for a few years in Atlanta College of Art 3D classes.

I would love to tinker with Lightwave on a rocket like the Octane! I'd even
settle for running it on a modern machine like an OS X G4 or G5, but the
price tag for the current releases is several hundred dollars more than I can
justify, even after the generous upgrade pricing from my Amiga versions.

I've been keeping an eye on Blender but haven't found time to plow into it
yet. A quick glance at Ayam, however, indicates it is worth exploring as a
quicker path.

<old timer mode>

Of course, anything will beat the days in the mid 1980's when I volunteered
CPU cycles on my 7mhz Amiga 2000 for a distributed (sneakernet) QRT rendering
project known as the Amiga Atlanta "Epic Ray" video.

"Modeling" was a matter of typing long strings of coordinate numbers into a
text editor. Sometimes a single frame would take several days to complete.
One 24 bit frame would just barely fit on a single floppy disk, and we would
have to walk ten miles (through the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways, of
course) to deliver our floppy stacks to the one guy who could afford a hard
disk, 8 megs of memory and a frame buffer for assembling the frames onto
video tape.

</old timer mode>

peace
aaron