[ale] Writing to NFS

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:24:13 EST 2003

David Corbin wrote:

>Can someone explain why the file system is read-only?  mount says it's not.
>/etc/exports has the rw option on it.
>
>$ mount | tail -1
>foobar:/home/dcorbin on /data/home/dcorbin/foobar type nfs
>(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,addr=192.168.99.3,user=dcorbin)
>$ pwd
>/data/home/dcorbin/foobar
>$ echo >junk
>-bash: junk: Read-only file system

This happened to me when I mounted an NFS share as root, and didn't have
a no_root_squash option on the share definition.  What does
    ls -ld /data/home/docorbin/foobar
show?

Also, does your dcorbin account have the same UID on both systems?

It also happens when you have a fail-over cluster, and the secondary
machine has a slower netork connection than the first.  :)  Ask how long
it took to track that little thing down!

Thanks and HTH

Jonathan Glass