[ale] Laptop hardware (power) questions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 10 16:18:30 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 13:26, BruceG wrote:
> Thanks James,
>
>       I started it up on battery power, no problems at all. I then shut it
> down, and restarted with the charger plugged into the laptop, but not into
> the wall. Still no problems. I then plugged the charger into the wall - and
> there we go.

It could be the charger circuit on the motherboard is faulty causing a
power problem when the charger is plugged in. The only way to test is
find something that uses the same voltage output as the charger  (with
the same connector) and power it and put it under load. If the
non-laptop gizmo fails, the charger is bad. If the gizmo works just
fine, the laptop has problems. If that's the case, get a second battery
and an external charger and start shopping for a new laptop.

>      I'll check locally for a replacement, but is that something you would
> normally need to order online through HP?

Most likely.