[ale] Question for Debian users

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Mon Nov 10 09:31:50 EST 2003

A long time ago, (10.11.03), in a galaxy far, far away, David Corbin wrote:

:=On Sunday 09 November 2003 21:39, Holmquist, Thomas W. wrote:
:=> yes, apt-get is the best tool ever.
:=>
:=> to install packages you do apt-get install package1 package2 (ex. apt-get
:=> install mozilla) It downloads, installs, and configures the packages
:=> automatically. I run stable on all my servers, and unstable on all my
:=> desktop.
:=
:=But I want to point something out here.  Apt-get IS great.  But the real
:=greatness is Debian's rigorous adherence to standards.  The location, form,
:=and placement of all the files in a package is KEY to apt-get working so
:=well.

And this is the key.  A thousand monkeys creating a thousand RPMs aren't
going to give you a stable system (and trying to install packages that
require specific versions of libqt (not libqt.X.Y or greater, mind you, but
specific versions), specific audio packages that are incompatible with
whatever you've got installed currently, or someone's beta toolkit library
that someone else decided to thrown into their app).

Debian sounds like they took the FreeBSD ports philosophy into the rpm
crowd. .  . test your app dependency tree and make sure it works before
releasing it.  If I get an extra box sometime, I'll have to try Debian.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's