[ale] Question for Debian users

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Nov 10 09:31:39 EST 2003

> Congratulations, good choice :)
>
> BTW, the 6 CDs are not needed, they just contain the same
> packages as the stable feed servers do (minus security
> patches.) the first CD is all you need to install.

to go a step farther, i386's have minicd's that you can download (less than
200mb) which will give you a base system.  after that you can "apt-get
install foo" to customize your system to your specific needs.  I know you
were initially asking about a Sparc, but someone may have a similar setup
for that architecture.

for Lord Sutch debian iso (less than 200mb)
(http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/)
Woody "Netinst" (http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/) 32mb iso for a
"business card cdrom"
and a Woody iso (177mb) at (http://master.debian.or.kr/~alee/cdimages/)

if those don't fire you up and you have good bandwidth try a "two floppy"
net install.  Lockergnome had a brief walk through which was at
http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/penguinshell/20020225.html (dunno if the
url is current)

I have a tutorial/walk through that I could dig up if anyone was/is
interested.  It deals with installing Woody on a Compaq Armada 4130T laptop
(133mhz, 32mb ram, 1.2gb hdd), but can easily be adapted to other installs.