[ale] Debian or Slackware package management

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sat Nov 8 00:45:36 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 11:59:03PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > of these has the easiest package manager to use when adding programs that
> > are in tar form (ex: nmap-3.48.tar.gz).  I do like the idea of using a
> > package manager to ease removal/updating/adding of programs.  So Debian's
> > dh_make or Slackware's makepkg and why is it easier?  I had very little
>
> Slackware's probably the simplest, while Debian's dpkg format is by far
> the most complicated when to creating packages.
>
> > success with creating rpm's (spec files, diffs, etc.) and hope there is an
> > easier way.
>
> RPM .spec files are pretty strightforward.  The problems you describe
> would apply to any packaging system.
>
>  - Pizza

Maybe I made it more difficult than it needed to be.  I would get the
older source rpm and install that.  Then I would put the newer source
tarball in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and make changes to the spec file to
use the newer source and check to see if the patches were still needed
from the older source rpm.  After that a "rpm -ba foo.spec" from within
the SPECS dir.  Most of the time I could not solve the build problems.
If there is a better way with Red Hat's rpm then I will try Fedora Core
instead since I am more used to Red Hat's way of doing things.

Thanks,

 --
Jim Seymour
www.wingbarscafe.com