[ale] Fedora and RHN?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Nov 7 08:52:16 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 09:39 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> You misinterpreted the post.
>
> The post was in regards to the fact that XP Prof costs $189.  Someone
> was whining that they could not pay $179 for RH.  My point was that XP
> cost more and is crap compared to RH.

Of course, the $189 for XP should last for several years and the !79 for RH is
a yearly fee.

I will grant you that you get more with RH, but the Linux proce used to be
such an easy sell and Windows supporters were left looking for second order
costs.

Linux Advocate: Linux is really cheap!

Windows Advocate: But windows has a lower TCO.

And then they argue.

Now that they are similarly priced it is more like

LA: Linux is really cheap.

WA: Actually, if you upgrade every three years RedHat is about three times as
expensive if you buy it with NO support.  Windows is way cheaper.

LA: Okay, the upfront outlay is higher, but look at all the stuff you get with
it.

WA:  La la la I can't hear you.  Windows is cheaper--you admitted it.  La la
la.

--Michael