[ale] OT: 64 bit laptops

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Nov 7 00:57:55 EST 2003

64 bits only is better than 32 in some respects - high end
graphics,modeling,multimedia, (perhaps mathematics) and huge databases.  I
have a UltraSPARC-IIe (64-bit SPARCv9 processor) and it drags on Solaris, is
ok on OpenBSD but the word from others is that they still get better mileage
on 32 bit architectures.  Or as one person advised me "64-bit applications
tend to be a tad bit slower than their 32-bit counterparts so even though
I'm running a 64-bit SPARCv9 kernel, I still compile those apps as 32-bit
programs using the Sun compilers and optimize the heck out of them."  As far
as the reports about the new Macs - who knows.  So much crap has been done
in the name of "benchmarks" that I am truly skeptical of just about
everything - especially if comparing 2 different systems (each should be
optimized by an expert in that system to really get a good comparison).

Greg