[ale] OT: 8MM -> VCR?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Nov 5 16:14:10 EST 2003

> >  A friend of mine is in a panic, her Camcorder died, it's a
> Sony CCD-FX
> >that uses 8mm tapes.  She wants to put them in a VCR to watch or
> >capture.  My grandfather used to have what looked like a VCR
> Tape that
> >popped open and he put a 4mm tape in and he could watch it
> on his VCR.
> >She's looked for those and has only found some for "VHSC" but not for
> >8mm.  Has anyone seen anything that might work for an 8mm solution?
> >
> >  One for you AV buffs, she's looking for a new digital camera but
> >doesn't know what's good.  Her top budget is $400, suggestions?

I was also looking for something that read 8mm.  I wound up (finally) going
to Wal-Mart and buying a Sony TVR-250 for just under $400.  It has more
features than I need, but I am most interested in the USB streaming feature.
I plan on using the camera to stream the footage to my hard disk and then
burn to VCD (maybe DVD after Santa comes to town).  If all else fails then
(i.e.  I can't get streaming to work like I want) then I will run it through
my tv capture card (once I get time off to tweak it).

VCD's are much cheaper to make and mail than VHS.

good luck on the hunt,
preston

--
"Tracers work both ways." (U.S. Army Ordnance manual)