[ale] CD-R longevity (WAS Cendyne external USB cd-rw)

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Nov 4 07:58:35 EST 2003

<snipped>

>Besides I am weening myself from
> CD's as an archive method.  I'm not convinced of their longevity.  At
least not
> CD-R.  I have several that are unreadable already.  Which brings up a
> question.  What would be a better long term archive format?  Removable
> drives?  I want something that will allow easy access to my data for
> many, many years.

I read something, possibly a couple of months ago, about there being a
format change in CD-R's.  I _believe_ the article was stating that CD's that
were burned a couple of years ago were becoming unreadable in newer drives
and that CD's burned today would show similar results in the oncoming years.
If I get a chance I will try and find the article if you are interested.

But we probably won't have to worry about this happening since that CD
eating virus will make 'em look like swiss cheese anyway...