[ale] ogg123 degrades over time

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat May 31 09:55:42 EDT 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 14:17, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> I have a bunch of ogg files that I like to listen to in random
> order like thus:
>
> ogg123 -v -z *.ogg
>
> This works fine, but over time the sound quality gets worse and worse,
> until the music sounds extremely "tinny", as if it is being piped through
> an old 5 cent speaker. Any idea on how to avoid this? This can happen as
> soon as the third song or so, or can take as long as a day to occur.

Though I agree with some other posters that this kind of problem is
more likely hardware related, I suppose it is possible that an ogg123
bug could cause progressive loss of (critical) bits from the data stream
when a single instance is loading multiple files. You could try this bash
one liner loop that runs a new instance of ogg123 with each Tune to test
the possibility:

for Tune in *.ogg ;  do ogg123 -v "$Tune" ;  done

(syntax worked fine with mpg321)

You lose the "random" aspect for the test, but if this resolves the issue
you just add that in with a little more bash scripting... ;-)

HTH
peace
aaron