[ale] Happy Happy Backups day

Bruce Griffis griffisb at MoreSpamPlease.bellsouth.net
Sat May 31 00:08:45 EDT 2003

Got my Mandrake PC back up and working again, with all user directories
restored and Samba working. Thank goodness for fledgling attempts at backups.
Even had backups for my /mnt/windows/My\ Documents folder. Took backups of
specific directories and copied them via FTP to a second PC. Should have
taken a complete backup. Urgh.

Anyway - happily chugging away on a full backup, then will FTP it (binary?) to
my PC with a CD-R drive and back it up. Do you guys go for once a month full
backups, and then incrementals for home use? Or just a full backup after
major changes? As a Windows user, I'd normally just lose and re-install
everything - but the reconfiguring and tweaking takes too much time! Plus,
I'd rather not lose data.

Maybe I ought to do what James said and stop being so cheap - and pick up a
portable IDE drive.

Time to back away from the keyboard. My warped mind is revolving around
SpamAssasin and f-prot to keep spam and viri out of my mailbox. Anyone
recommend a good "how-to" while I slowly ease up on the keyboard?
Bruce