[ale] [OT] PHP Samba Authentication Module

Jonathan Glass (IBB) jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Thu May 29 21:14:29 EDT 2003

I wrote this little function a while ago for a client, and just found
another use for it at GT.  THought it might be useful to someone in the
ALE community, too, if they haven't already done this.  I wrote this
module to allow an NT4 shop to use a single set of accounts and
passwords for all their online applications.  I have a slightly
different version of password protected directories in IIS, using ASP.

HTH

Jonathan Glass

<?
function nt_logon($usr,$pass) {
/* Check username and password against an NT 4 PDC, in PHP
   If using Samba on Linux, uncomment the second if statement.

   Of course, add your PDC's name/IP in place of <pdc> and your NT
   domain in place of <domain name>.

   To verify what gets returned to this function, copy the exec()
   parameter and run it by hand.  You may have to tweak the "if"
   statement depending on your version of *nix and Samba.

   Jonathan Glass - 5/29/2003 - jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
*/

  $tmp = exec("smbclient //<pdc>/netlogon -U $usr%$pass -c 'exit'");
  if ($tmp == "Domain=[<domain name>] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN
Manager 4.0]") {
// if ($tmp == "Domain=[<domain name>] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7]")
{
     return 1;
  }
  else