[ale] Maxtor drives

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Thu May 29 20:30:34 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Frank Zamenski wrote:

> > > I have lost more data on WD than Seagate. It was easy to lose the
> data
> > > on the
> > > WD, I just typed rm -rf . . . . That being said, I prefer Seagate.
> > >

> > That's what I've heard as well (Seagate better than WD).
> > I can't figure out why I've had such rotten luck. I've
> > checked the temps on the drives and they are very cool
> > (much better than the CPU). Maybe Seagate has implemented
> > the infamous "if jeff_layton" flag that I seem to find in
> > all of my codes :)
> >

> My own experience is Seagate > Quantum > WD > Maxtor.
> I've been wary of Maxtor since their 540MB days when even then, those
> $#^% things failed prematurely. (But I never took it personal! :)
> Replacement turnaround with a credit card was always fast though. I've
> tons of old Seagate 1.6 - 3GB drives that are weeeeell past their prime
> (thrown out by my company), that in my home machines take a lickin' and
> keep on tickin'! I've even dropped a few and most still spun up, but
> hey, they were free... out of the trash bin.... :)

I concur. I love Seagate, and just picked up two 120GB ATA disks this
past weekend. I have two 9GB SCSI disks in my Ultra1, and we use TONS
of seagate disks at work. I used to think WD was king, but have lost
two 100 GB disks within the past six months. The new fluid motion
bearing drives are also SUPER quiet. I can't hear anything when I
pound on the 120 GB disks.