[ale] Disk access is realllllly slowwwww

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu May 29 15:50:44 EDT 2003

We recently built a new server.  It got dual 1.4 GHz processors, lots of
RAM, and a Compaq Smart Array hardware raid device for storage.  We
installed RH 9 on it.  It works really well except for one small
problem--accessing the disk is really slow.

Filename complete at the bach prompt often takes 5 seconds, or so.  It's
like the drive needs to spin up (which I'm sure is not the case) because
afterwards it is nice and fast for general reads and rights.  But then the
next time I do filename completion i a new dir it is slow again.

Has anyone seen this?  I'm wracking my brain trying to imagine a scenario
that explains this behavior.

Thanks,

Michael