[ale] F-Prot questions

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu May 29 10:10:39 EDT 2003

> F-Prot was the virus scanner I used back when I was running/abusing DOS.
> The free version for Linux is very good. I use it on Samba mounted
> drives to clear virus woes on windows boxes.

Thanks James (and Keith),

	I am using SAMBA (and LinNeighborhood for browsing) in a Linux and Windows
home network. Also popping MS docs around (my wife has taken XP, a couple
Word, MS Publisher, and now Excel classes). So figured I'd give it a try.

	F-Prot segfaulted yesterday. I also noticed that my tar/bzip2 backups hung
when backing up my /mnt/windows/My\ Documents folder. Don't know if it's due
to F-Prot, or if something is hacked under My Documents.

	I have Norton Anti-Virus on the Windows partition for when I am booted up
into WIndows. Also have NAV on my other 2 laptops - so I might consider
scripting a scan that simply avoids the Windows partition and mounted WIndows
directories. I'd use NAV on Win machines (and partitions) and use F-Prot on
the Linux machine.

	Anyway - trying again to figure out where I went wrong.
Thanks, Bruce