[ale] OT: laptops on a network, security

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Wed May 28 21:48:49 EDT 2003

Hypothetical situation: you are a fair-to-middlin' sized university, and
people (students, faculty, staff, spouses, riff-raff) want to bring their
laptops in and plug in to your network.  Your draconian laws prohibit this
but it's becoming increasingly obvious that people are doing it anyway,
and you can't hide from the issue forever.

What do you do?  Could something like RADIUS be used to authenticate
mobile users and only grant those with valid accounts an IP address?  What
about people who just assign themselves an IP? How does one stop that?

I know there are a ton of security issues involved here, and of course I'm
looking for a solution that protects both our network and our mobile
users. One of my biggest concerns is that these are machines completely
out of our control, how do I mitigate the potential horrible evil of that?

I'm fishing here, would be especially interested to know what GA Tech,
Emory,  Kennesaw, and others are doing because as a school we're going to
have to follow different rules than a corporation, but I'm interested to
hear from anybody with experience doing this kind of thing.

TIA
jenn