[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Wed May 28 16:48:09 EDT 2003

Above was hard for me to follow - I was squinting my eyes too much.
> By the same token, you attach zero cost to shoddy code because your cost is
> time.  Therefore you're tolerance for shoddy code is very high.
Yes. I allow room for the code to evolve - but I feel that I am forced to do
that because my specs change. Once the code is in use, alterations to make it
better are implemented. Further, my tolerance extends to ALL programmers.

> Figure your cost
> using the most optimistic and pessimistic final valuations for "your time".
I feel the extra time I use is moot because it extends to ALL programmers.
(and it doesn't not seem to be related to origin of the code).

> When you "tack on" extra
> work to a project or mandate certain things after the contract has been
> signed you are acting unethically and likely taking time away from a
> parent/child relationship.
Sure, I have been guilty of adding work. I have also reduced work, changed
specs for the benefit of the programmer, and paid more than bid price. I
value the programmers that complete work VERY much. To me, it is not just
code - it is support for my dreams - and I put extra value on those that help
me reach the goals I want to achieve.

> More likely as your reputation spreads your
> "workers" will catch on to your tricks and your supply of "cheap" labor
> will get more expensive to compensate.
I must have overspoken this point. It is not my goal to rip off programmers.
It is my goal to keep my end of the deal so that I can rehire the good
programmers - as finding new good programmers is time consuming.

<flames omitted>
> Certainly you give people jobs and that's good.  Given the
> bargain you already feel you are getting, any reason you can't negotiate
> for these "extra" services in good faith too?
You seem to want to make me out as some sort of con-artist that does not have
great relationships with multiple programmers. I commission work in good
faith. Often things change during the coding process and code use. Because
humans are involved we (the programmer and I) allow for some flexiblity. For
clarification: I do not try rip off programmers by stealing extra time.
Contrarily I usually accept their bid (and then tip at the end). In this way,
I can retain programmers instead of constantly hunting for more. Further, it
is easier to work with programmers that already know the code.

> I'm guessing, that going
> around the legal protections offered US workers is one reason you are
> finding "cost advantages" overseas.
No. To my knowledge programmer always get paid more than minimum wage (if your
argument is of Nike flair). I understand your tone, but not your thought
process. If you just want to say "Drew is bad." I can more easily accept it.

> Lack of talent is not a "people" problem in a country with 300 million
> people.
Ok.
> It's more likely a leadership problem.
That is the attitude that temployees sometimes have when jealous of the
leaders.

> Despite your self assumed
> leadership position you supply none.
I am not trying to lead the world! LOL. I am not trying to fix the emotional
problems that IT workers may have. I am much more bottom-lined oriented. I
lack the type of skills that are good for baby-sitting adults.

> This deficit is another reason (a
> long term one) you find "cost advantages" overseas.
Why? Are you just ranting? Am I supposed to respond to this post?

> As a result you turn to others with less opportunity and instead
> of treating them fairly you seek to further your economic advantage.
Wrong. I offer and honor partnership in about half of the projects.

>Don't take it personally; managers
> working in daily close contact with employees have trouble figuring this
> one out.
Sounds like you have had some bad relationships with managers. I am not taking
any of what you are writing personally. You sound upset - but I am not sure
why. You seem to have taken a comment I made about "getting extra work" and
disregarded comments that offset it. You disregard most of what I have
written. I am assuming that your silence is your conscent. If the worst thing
I am doing is modifying the specs during the coding process, then I will
still go to "heaven." Especially in light of the fact that I offer other
things (including cash) in exchange.

> I truly canÂ’t say I wish you luck with this business model.
I have not needed luck.

> I wouldn't
> sign a contract with a company like yours for all the tea in China.  The
> trouble is, a lot of shortsighted people might and people like you take the
> money and run when the dominoes fall...
I am the laaast person you can call money hungry. I care less about money than
reaching set goals. Money has been a byproduct of my "achievements" and that
is how I want it to stay. The "business" that I do are all related to my
hobbies the work I accept is enjoyable (or I refer it to someone else) - so
my effort is related to "the continued expansion of happiness and the
progressive realization of worthy goals." I am not on of those "go IPO and
sell" types. Is that what you are thinking?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com