[ale] NVIDIA cards and drivers

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Wed May 28 11:57:22 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:44, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> I came to Linux after IBM stopped supporting OS/2, which I began
> using years ago as I couldn't tolerate Win95. M$'s EULAS and
> unsecure code keep me from going back.  If not Linux, where else
> can I go?

The new apples running their version of UNIX.

> No, no tinkering involved on the PGP signature. The gpg program
> did all the work and kmail automatically inserts it.
> And you are here confusing mandatory kernel mods with running
> supplied software.

There is no such thing as a mandatory kernel mod in Linux (At least as
far as the system is concerned. This may be an issue with a very low
number of user space programs...). Also, the nvidia driver does not
modify the kernel or the kernel sources. The nvidia installation script
compiles the nvidia driver module against the kernel: In other words,
the module is compiled against the same libraries the kernel was
compiled against. This is not a kernel mod or a module mod or a mod of
any code whatsoever.

> I can choose to run certain software (such as
> gpg) or not. My choice. Not much choice about the kernel.

That's not true. You can run whatever version of the kernel that you
want to. In Linux there are always choices.

Best

M. Dickens