[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

John Marasco jemarasco at bellsouth.net
Wed May 28 00:27:58 EDT 2003

Do you track the cost of doing business with inefficient code from "cheap
programmers" while you identify those portions of the code you want
"corrected" by the guru?  Who identifies which portions of the code need
"correcting"?  What is the cost of that process?  Does the "corrections"
made by the guru change the training you've instituted for the users of your
code, what is that cost?  How about repeat of QA, what is that costs?  Do
you document the new business process, what is that cost?  How about
management of this process, what is that cost?    How informative are
comments made by "cheap programmers", is there a cost associated with
decoding comments by individuals that can't even get the code straight?
What is the cost of having a cheap programmer (who would reasonably be
expected to work slower) do more work by "mandating comments" in the code?
What is the maintenance and feature addition cost of this patchwork code?
I'm certain you can run a business the way you've outlined.  It would be
interesting (at least to me) to see if the costs of running business like
this really outweigh the benefits.  On it's face, it seems redundant, poorly
planned and piecemeal but I'd like more information to consider the idea if
you are finding success with it.

IMO, most people wouldn't find rocket science to be "easy math" (can't speak
for you, don't know you).  It involves control of a likely non-linear plant
model in a non-linear environment (gravity, air pressure, Reynolds Number,
that sort of stuff).  This means digitization of non-linear equations and
some rather complex matrix manipulations most of which I've forgotten.  The
math alone is easy to screw up and the effects are often unpredictable and
difficult to see until you are actually "in the environment".  Compounding
this is the necessity to digitize all your final models.  Throwing a few
extra dollars into the mix for better hardware would change the sampling
rate necessitating very flexible and well organized code or a complete
overhaul of all the digitized equations so that "solution" isn't as helpful.
Real time control is one area where throwing hardware at the problem creates
additional issues or it's own special up front design considerations.

Wouldn't distributed processing systems constitute "tough code"?  Where you
have to design a system to utilize the processing power of multiple machines
through multiple code layers (user, business, data, etc...) to achieve a
scaleable, flexible and least cost solution?  Where the hardware costs are
actually a significant portion of the budget and require careful management.
Isn't this type of coding ubiquitous to many industries in our increasingly
information services oriented marketplace?

-John