[ale] video card recommendation?

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Tue May 27 13:41:27 EDT 2003

Message: 7
From: "ChangingLINKS.com" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
 href="mailto:x3 at ChangingLINKS.com"><x3 at ChangingLINKS.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] video card recommendation?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 00:40:57 -0500

The Matrox dual head 32MB card with fan worked also. It is supposedly a
"6400."

What do I mean by "worked"?
I put the card in the box, started the computer, couple clicks in SaX2 and had
3D ability (just tried the FooBilliard cause the other games do weird things
like black screen and start in full screen mode).

Soon (tomorrow) my entire computer system will have the ATI cards (couldn't
find the Matrox in 64MB). And, that means I don't have to spend the extra 15
minutes fumbling with proprietary drivers. Come to think of it, I may not
even *need<span
 class="moz-txt-tag">* to download kernel-source (for video support) anymore.

I just wish that I had corrected the Nvidia mistake a year ago. It won't
happen again.

Drew

Drew sorry to hear that you've had so much troubles with video cards, especially nvidia. I know more than a few people who use them with no problems in their linux boxes.

however if you want to see just how much of a nightmare you can have in regards to configuring a 3D video card to work properly with X windows and Linux go buy yourself a Kyro chipset based video card.

I'd gladly trade you for those two video cards for the 32 meg Hercules 3d Prophet 4000XT video card that is currently installed in my linux box at work. I got so disgusted with it that I gave up and I am currently using the generic VESA driver just to be able to get basic functionality for it. At least Nvidia does offer a reasonably easy way of installing their drivers and the ability to recompile the driver as needed whenever you upgrade to a newer kernel, the Kyro driver is all but impossible to install.

I'd offer to swap you a 10 gig hard drive for them but the only one I currently have is a Maxtor which you stated that you didn't want.

have a nice day :)

Van

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com

1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404