[ale] quick, simple backup

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat May 24 17:42:28 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 22:22, Bruce Griffis wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2003 04:59 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> > Reusable media is the best bet. A new travan tape drive is only a few
> > hundred bucks. Zip drives are OK. CD-RW with a bit of scripting will
> > work well too.
> >
> This is a great topic, and one I've been trying to figure options for, for
> home use. Getting kind of old hacking and re-installing things on a way too
> regular basis.

Another backup idea is removable hard drive on a networked machine. It
is set up to be, say, /backup, and the backup scripts drop everything to
it. With 2 drives and caddies, a lot of storage can be had for not much
cash. 20G drives go for less than $100, the caddies are $25 each. And it
backs up faster than any tape drive ever will.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part