[ale] [OT] Small Business Friendly Site

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Sat May 24 10:52:41 EDT 2003

Off topic subject here, but perhaps someone can help.

A friend of mine runs a small (2 Man operation) that makes specialized
parts for a small application.  He is looking to create a web site that
allow him to do the following:

1.  Show pictures and descriptions of  individual components.
2.  Store prices.
3.  Be able to generate order forms based on items, quantity, and price.
4.  Have a series of "HOW-TOs" that can be read and/or downloaded.

He does not want to use credit card or on line ordering.  All orders
will be processed, an order form generated, and then printed and sent to
him with a check or MO.

So, I am helping him try to find a small business friendly site that has
inexpensive web hosting, software that will allow him to post jpegs and
descriptions of his products, adjust prices, and generate order forms
(and possibly order numbers).  Hopefully, whatever is out there will not
be too complicated (e.g. like Interchange).  Since I am helping, I would
prefer Linux based.

Another alternative would be a package simpler than Interchange to run
that could be uploaded to a web site and run from there, and have the
functionality described above.

Any ideas (other than Yahoo)?

Bob