[ale] What technology is used on chat web pages?

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Fri May 23 11:04:48 EDT 2003

A long time ago, (23.05.03), in a galaxy far, far away, Geoffrey wrote:

:=That really isn't a reasonable solution, although I've seen it done.  I
:=guess it depends on what your intended use is.
:=
:=But, say I'm on the chat page, entering something, suddenly it
:=refreshes. That's assuming the design is a single window or multiple
:=frames.  Still, you have this distracting refresh.  I think a smarter
:=solution is needed such as a client/server java app.

I haven't tried this, but I believe you could have an input frame and an
output frame; the output frame refreshes ever 15-30-60 seconds or whatever
interval you like and the input frame only clears when you send text.

I agree, however, that using the Java applet is likely the path of least
resistance.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's