[ale] qotd boiler script

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 22 12:24:16 EDT 2003

Cy Kurtz wrote:
> I want to write a script that does this:
>
> 1. Boil quotes from a qotd(quotes of the day) daily email from tqp(the
> quotations page),
>
> 2. append these quotes to /usr/share/games/fortunes/qotd,
>
> 3. add the '%' symbols so it makes sense to strfile,
>
> 4. and run strfile on the updated /usr/share/games/fortunes/qotd so my
> fortune program can access them.
>
> Is such a thing possible? Would sed be the best tool?

Anything is possible. :)  You can grab the quotes from the email if you
can key on something specific.  If you're going to have to rely on email
headers, that's a bit more difficult, but doable.

It's likely you'll need something a bit more robust then sed, such as
awk or perl.  Either will permit you to do all you want to above, where
as sed (likely) will not.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...