[ale] Opera 7.11 Linux Final is Out

Synco Gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Wed May 21 15:00:08 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Robert Coggins wrote:

> OK...
>
> I think this is on topic....
>
> I know how to code somewhat.  I am not a professional coder but this is the
> way I see it.  The computer programming world is not black and white when
> even working with 1s and 0s especially on a higher level.  I feel there are
> some things that need to stay closed code.  A majority of code should be
> open in my view point.  Personally I think browsers should be open source.
> However we live in a world where we have the choice of opening our code or
> keeping it closed.  I feel this decision is the perogitive of the
> coder/owner.  As for not allowing close coded programs on linux I feel is a
> bad idea for another reason.  What if MS said any program written for
> Windows has to be open or even closed.  If they did not allow open source
> then I couldn't bear using windows in situations I HAVE to use windows. For
> example, I use XChat Dia Open Office and other programs on Windows.
>
> To me...  Bottom line.  We are living in a world where we have the CHOICE to
> keep our code open/closed even if it may seem like some are catching a free
> ride via a particular OS, Linux.

no doubt man -- i completely agree that, of course, we should and DO have
a free choice about how we develop and release our code.  but that doesn't
mean that there is no right and wrong (even if it's only relative).  i
know that opera has their options and they are completely within the
bounds of the law and norms of society.  but it still makes me sick when i
see them doing it.  yes, we have choices but there are still wrong ones.