[ale] OT: SMTP/POP3 Password Encryption

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Tue May 20 16:19:33 EDT 2003

hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> When accessing SMTP and POP3 servers, are the account names and passwords
> ordinarily encrypted or do they pass in clear text (provided SSL isn't being used)?
>
> I suspect that they travel in the clear if you aren't using SSL but I wanted to
> ask the more knowledgeable.

I do not really know for POP, but my brief reading of a few RFC's seems
to indicate that it is similar to SMTP.  In SMTP, the AUTH command
specifies the method of authentication.  If it is something like
CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5, then the password is passed as a hash and not in
the clear.

Of course, the best way to find out for your particular situation is to
whip out ethereal and see.

-andy

--
Andrew Newton