To -> David Jackson Re: [ale] Is there anyone out there thatfully understands the boot process ? If yes, please help...........

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon May 19 22:13:35 EDT 2003

I have some questions about this also, if anyone has done it.  I've read
the bootdisk howto; but it's horribly outdated.  I'm just trying to
build my own distro (which I know is beyond the scope of this list
(well, not scope; but the practicality).  I've got a bootable cdrom, but
I'm not sure how to point it to the filesystem, and if I can put the
filesystem on the CD - I've been hearing that I have to make it a FAT
CD; but even if so, how do I point the kernel at it? /dev/hdc?  I have
ton's of questions about this, but if anyone is familiar with it and
could offer some pointers (even a general list of  'steps' that I could
followup with independently) I would be very appreciative.

Best thanks,
CB