[ale] Hacking old directtv stuff

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon May 19 20:05:39 EDT 2003

Paperweight Collectors -

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Mike Panetta wrote:

> Anyone willing to give one of these "paper weights" to a curious person?

Naw - I'm still hoping someone else will figure out a fun use for it.

> Anyone ever figure out what processor it has in it yet?

There are two large chips: one is a Moto XPC850SRZT50B, which seems to be
a comm processor with a cut-down 860 (PPC) core. The other is an Alcatel
'DYNAMITE' which I would guess to be a gate-array or PAL programmed for
signal processing (modem or modems). No markings on top of the PWB except
'Telocity'. There are three dual-row pin headers and one pushbutton
switch.

Others look to be flash, RAM, clocks, drivers/receivers, ...

I asked when I signed up with Speakeasy if the unit could work as a modem
for them. The service person said:

1) It was probably configured wrong (bridge vs. ???), and
2) I might find netlore on hacking it, but they didn't have anything to
   suggest.

I understand these units come up and apply for DHCP configuration from
their network (i.e., by modem on the phone line). If someone could get at
that side and start poking into the beast by SNMP, perhaps they could
learn something. Without a bit of documentation it sounds like a long job
for little return, but hey, I hope I'm wrong.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu