[ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun May 18 10:36:23 EDT 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am setting up a Debian laptop and I am looking for GUI suggestions.  I know
> all about KDE (bloat) and Gnome (plain-jane), as well as WindowMaker
> (low-overhead) and BlueCurve (RH9).  What I would like to know is what is
> everyone else's opinion on the best GUI for a Linux laptop.  Please be somewhat
> specific in defining why you like your choice as well as any downsides you may
> experience.

Openbox. There are several window managers all based on Blackbox, which was
designed to be a lightweight, fast wm. Blackbox isn't actively maintained
any more, but of the derivatives, I like openbox the best. It's backwards
compatible with blackbox, follows the same spirit of not needlessly adding
features, but does add some that are important (anti-aliased fonts, for
example)

later,
chris