[ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat May 17 23:25:15 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 22:58, Keith Hopkins wrote:

> I found it to be CDEish, stable, but could use some more utils/applets to
> make it a little more usable.  I switched back to Gnome after a while.

You can compile it with built in GNOME and KDE support. It's very usable
in that configuration: Your able to use **ALL** Gnome and KDE apps and
utils.

I use it on two machines right now. One is a low horse power 400Mhz
machine and the other is a 1Ghz machine that benefits from low over head
XFCE affords due to the application it is used in.

FWIW: Even the commercial x servers don't offer all that much
performance improvement over xfree. By their nature, x servers are
resource hungry. There are two ways to work the resource thing to your
advantage on a machine that is (Or possibly is) under provisioned:

A.) Upgrade the hardware on the machine: Expensive and often not the
smart move. But, the results are predictable.

B.) Lower the system overhead. Use a lighter weight window manger. Kill
all unnecessary daemon amd background processes. Customize the kernel
and cut out all of the fat: Make the kernel smaller/faster and never
load modules you do not need. Use the gpl'ed PCI tweaking utilites to
customize the hardware for use the way that **you** use it (I use these
tools and they really work). Lower the vga definition from 24 bit to 16
bit for faster redraws and paints.

Best regards

M. Dickens