[ale] GIMP

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat May 17 23:07:26 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 09:29, Geoffrey wrote:

Hi Geoffrey!

> Yes, he can flatten the image, but if it's saved as a jpeg, the
> transparency will be lost.  gif or png would be the options then.  I've
> had very good success with converting image backgrounds, that are easily
> defined, to match the color of a web page background.

Your absolutely right.

> As for the jagged edges issue, this will happen whether he changes the
> color or uses transparency.  In both cases he must in some way select
> the background of the banner with the same tools.  Whether that
> selection is changed to another color or made transparent, it's the
> selection tool that's defining the area, and therefore producing the
> possibility of the jagged edges.

Well, I'm not really talking the jagged edges that are inherent in an
image as a result of the algorithms that were used to produce it. What I
was referring to is pixel isolation. You know, the pixels that retain
the old color because they are not geometrically and/or spatially
oriented correctly as far as the fill paint/pattern algorithm is
concerned (What I'm not talking about is the color inside the loop that
composes the characters of letter like "g" or 'A" or for that matter the
interior of a rectangle such as a box).

Now that I think about it, a plugin to fix this issue would be really
nice...

Best

M. Dickens