[ale] Very Unusual Delete Problem #2

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 16 07:44:10 EDT 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Because of my growing dislike for RedHat/ext3, I moved on to
> Suse/XFS(I think XFS) for my server. I used the Suse installation to
> automatically setup a loop back encrypted filesystem that requires a
> password to mount (at boot).
>
> This is where I keep my data.
>
> Unfortunately, while trying to fix unusual delete problem #1, I
> apparently deleted files within that encrypted filesystem. I
> immediately disconnected the electricity. The last backup does not
> have everything.

Drew dude, you keep shooting yourself in the foot. :( I don't have any
experiences with encrypted filesystem recovery, but I suspect you're
probably worse off then if it had been ext3.

> Since the filesystem is loaded in RAM(?) was pulling the power the
> wrong? Since the filesystem is loaded in RAM was pulling the power
> right? Is the data removal "saved(written)" already? Can data be
> recovered from an "on the fly" encrypted filesystem?

Again, I can't help you with the encrypted filesystem recovery.  Your
best bet is going to be to not boot this box again until you attempt
your recovery.  What you need to do is pull this drive out of this box,
put it in another and make a complete copy to work from.  Don't mount
any of the filesystems on that drive.

Good luck dude, and let us know if you're successful.  Unfortunately,
the ALE list is learning a lot from your misfortunes.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...