[ale] Abuse

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 19:42:54 EDT 2003

> His system is infected with one of the code red worm variants.  The worm
> is trying to spread itself by connecting to random http servers and
> probing for weaknesses.
>
> I get tons of these in my own logs.  Eventually, I got fed up with it,
> so I wrote a quick perl script to scan my apache logs for entries like
> these and add a firewall rule that drops any packets from the offending
> IPs.
>
> Jason
ohh yea code red, damn i though that thing and all its buddies was dead by
now... hmm, why not spam the hell out of thier server with messages saying
they were infected and need to patch? :-p damn i guess it takes a lazy
admin to not see they are sending out a code red attack? i mean that does
show up in logs right? that would get on my nerves soo bad lol.. im glad
im not running a server i would waste all my time reporting them :-p or
worse. hmm maybe the virous idea was a bad shot, i was thinking of a
script kiddie just trying to hack from his own box but that seldome
happens these days anyways,.. *bangs head on desk* when will i learn. i
got a mean streek in me. now wait, if they are trying to attack your iis
server that doesnt exist, is there some way to get a browser to pop up on
their server and say "your infected" or something? LOL wonder how much
they would get spammed with that browser (assumeing it was possible)
before they crashed or figured it out. actually ive been considering
setting up a server one of these days, a combo mail and web. got
interested in an idea of running it off of a power plug inside my computer
but im wondering if i can find a mobo small enough and with enough power
to be mountable in a allready inhabited case. i doubt its possible but it
was a neat idea anyways ;) and even if it is possible i morso doubt it
will happen. oh well ive run my mouth for long enough, :D