[ale] OT: Manufacturing an idea....

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Wed May 14 12:50:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 09:07, Joseph Knapka wrote:

> Just curious: I had read somewhere that the shenanigans with the
> envelope mailed to oneself were no longer necessary, and that
> one is automatically the copyright owner of anything one puts
> down in writing. I'd think that for proof of the date of
> conception, notarization would be sufficient. Is that not the
> case?

As my lawyer always tells me: "Fools leave legal matters to chance.In
court, documentation is everything. Therefore, documentation overkill
equates to irrefutable evidence and meeting the minimum requirements of
the law guarantees a challenge by the opposition". Most new comers in
legal matters document poorly because they don't know any better.
Companies and people who have a lot of experience document *extensively*
which is why they win in court. My own personal belief is that
documentation for legal purposes does not qualify as "shenanigans". But,
each to their own...

FWIW: You want an open and shut case. not one that drags on and ends up
costing you a fortune and financially breaks you before the case is
settled. If that happens, even if your a right, you lose.

Best

M. Dickens