[ale] NewbieQ on tunnelling SSH

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 12 11:14:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:31:13AM -0400, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I want to set up a CVS repository on machine X behind my firewall, and use
> it remotely through SSH. I don't know how to set this up, but expected
> something like this:

CVS has built-in support for this.  CVS can connect to a server using
several different methods.  One of these methods is via rsh, but you can
set an environment variable, CVS_RSH, to point to your rsh executable.
If you set CVS_RSH to point to your ssh executable, then CVS will use
ssh as its connection mechanism.  Of course, this assumes that you can
ssh directly to your cvs server.  See this link for more info:
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_2.html#SEC28

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9