[ale] / directory full

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Sun May 11 12:58:29 EDT 2003

Mike,

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:00, Mike Millson wrote:
> 1) How do I know what directories are under "/"?

	Try:

		du -x | sort -rn | more

			-OR-

		du -x | sort -rn | sed 50q >large_dirs

	The du command prints out sizes of files, and the sum of the files and
dirs for each dir.  The sort -rn reverse numerically sorts, so the big
ones float to the top.  The sed 50q stops at 50 lines.  If you can't
find a directory to clean up in the first 50 lines, you're out of luck
anyway.

> 2) Any suggestions for files to delete to free up space?

	It depends on what's full.  Anything in /tmp or /var/tmp is game, but
you gotta be careful of running programs.  The *safest* way would be to
reboot into single user mode, and clean out /tmp and /var/tmp.

	Run the above command, and post the first few (~20) lines of output to
ALE, and we'll make suggestions, if it's apparent.  Of course, there may
be the odd person who'll tell you to remove /etc/passwd or
/etc/xinetd.d/* or some foolishness.  We'll trust that you'll know to
ignore them ;-).

Danny