[ale] spam

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat May 10 01:21:21 EDT 2003

I get maybe 2-3 spams every 4-6 months.  How do I do this ? easy - I do the
following

	* Never ever give out the primary or one of the primary email addresses to
anyone unless you want and expect to get email from them.

	* See previous for your business cards too.  The "free gym tryout" or fish
bowls of business cards for free lunches at restaurants or some such at
conventions are used to harvest email addresses.

	* Feel free to use fake emails and names and such.  In fact, my dog just
ordered a free book (it is on .NET and from the MS Dominion so I do feel
some shame at using him). And as a bonus I had it sent to my work address
Let them handle the junk email that may follow. <using the Jedi mindtrick or
the Bene Gesserit voice> "You don't need Greg's address".

	* Expect any business to sell your email address - so be choosy.

	* Read any and all privacy & use agreements on websites.  The devil is in
the details and so is the law(yers).

	* If you have to give it out on a website, look for the "opt out"
checkboxes.  They are ALWAYS at the bottom and ALWAYS checked.

	* Get a "throw away" address.  Either Hotmail (last resort to use only
once) or use one of the many your ISP gives you.  I set one up anytime I
need one for a project (i.e.. getting mortgage quotes.) Once the project is
over, change it or get rid of it so that any spam stops at the ISP.

	* Turn off JavaScript, cookies, referrer logging, all types of scripting,
etc on your browser.

	* Remember that anywhere you go, so does your IP address.

	* User filter(s).  For the email client, the email server and/or the ISP's
filters. Speedfactory uses a pretty good one.  It has come into play about
once every 4 months for me.

	* Never send a return email to the "OPT OUT" address after you have gotten
a spam unless it is a semi-reputable company where you are on their
newsletter or some such list where you are sure that 1) it will be honored
and 2)it is a somewhat reputable firm. (i.e.. Oracle - well it is late and I
cannot think of any reputable ones. oh, "Suse").  IT IS TOO LATE TO RUN. -
if you send to the opt out address all you are doing is confirming that the
email address is "real" one - and hence is 5 times more valuable one the
market than a "possible" email address.

	* Never use "return receipts" unless you have to. Know what they are and
how to manage them.

	* Use your mail clients "junk email" feature.

	* Investigate new technologies - like spamd from the OpenBSD folks. It came
from the founder and project head himself.  It makes the spammers servers
work their little chips off trying to get the mail through.

	* Sign up for the mail and telemarketing "opt-out" lists - these are used
by many advertisers to better increase the odds or the focus of their
marketing and some will use them to "clean out" their lists. It serves
(probably the real reason) as some sort of appeasement of advertisers to the
state's secretary of state to help quell public dissension so I guess it is
effective.

	* Last and not least - try to attend ALE meetings that are on spam
prevention (like the one at KSU awhile back).

Greg