[ale] Python vs Perl (again)

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri May 9 15:06:43 EDT 2003

I'm trying to squeeze perl into a tight space so I can do some
heavy metal regex stuff when interperting log files.  However,
I'm in dependency hell right now and can not find a way out.  I
got perl 5.6.1 on the device and decided I wanted IO::Handle.
That is when all hell broke loose :)

My quesiton is that maybe I should go with pyhon?  The executable seems to
be 400k and maybe a few modules on top of that.  Can I do cgi with
python as well as I can with perl.  One option maybe would be php.  But,
I have to run php as a cgi on my web server.

Any pointer on this?  Maybe a location I can get the smallest perl
possible?  42m disti will not cut it on flash.

Chris