[ale] Frys opening in Duluth

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri May 9 09:31:43 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 07:55, Dan Newcombe wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Transam wrote:
> > My last experience at Best Buy was sufficiently bad that I'll not be
> > back unless I have no other choice.

My Worst Buy experience:
Wife purchased RAM on the business card for the bosses PC from Worst
Buy. I came in to install it. The PC was an IBM Aptiva <shudder>. As to
be expected, the RAM was incompatible. So she grabbed the receipt, I
verified we had the right stick of RAM back in the package and she took
it back up for a refund since we were going to have to order the RAM
from Crucial. The return desk drone took the package to the "tech" and
neither appeared for about 15 minutes. Finally, the "tech" shows up and
announces that "We don't sell this brand of RAM" and refused to refund
the money. The manager then announced loudly that "we prosecute people
who try to pull scams like this". My wife left furious and shocked that
her integrity had been publicly question in such a manner. I then went
to the store and tried to engage the manager to get the refund. He was
adamant that the RAM was not a brand they carried and it was not
purchased at that store. When I tried to get him to walk to the counter
where it was purchased so we could compared numbers, chip markings, etc.
he ordered me to leave the store or he would call the police. I got
furious and became quite loud demanding that he stop pulling a scam on
the Best Buy store and stop lying and come LOOK at the display so we can
settle this. A large burley security guard came over at this point and
escorted me from the building. The client, who was the head of the
Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, put on his badge and took the
RAM and receipt and got the refund.

Two days later, Slashdot had story about that exact Worst Buy store
(Tucker, Lavista Rd.) where a chap bought an item from the Best Buy
online sales and received the wrong item. They shipped him a much
cheaper version than what he had paid for. The only receipt he had was
the one he printed (when the screen told him to) on his own printer. He
had called the Best Buy office and was told to take it to the nearest
store and exchange it. When he tried to do that at Tucker store, the
manager I had quarreled with had him arrested.

That manager, and most of the support staff from the floor managers up,
have been replaced. I still hate the store. I only go in for price
comparisons and item ideas.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part