[ale] Executing User process in Kernel Mode

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri May 9 08:01:25 EDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Mike Panetta wrote:
> Egads!  Boy does that ever sound like a bad idea!  Despite how safe
> they claim it is, there is always the chance of someone making a mistake
> and putting a non trusted binary in the trusted dir. This has "major
> security hole" written all over it...

Yes - this could be a bad thing to do.  I can see some weenie boasting
about how they have their server so secure and they sped it up by doing
this.

However, if you are making some sort of embedded device based on Linux,
this could be a good thing for you.  Something like a Tivo (at least the
initial version) that didn't have an ability to be hacked.  Power of
Linux, speed of DOS - that whole kinda thing.  Depending on the speedup,
you could probably even use a less powerful processor, thus saving money
and increasing profit margins :)

	-Dan