[ale] Pointless Observation

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 8 18:06:31 EDT 2003

When I build out a box for a client, the number of thumbscrews used is
inversely proportional to their PC competency. For some of my clients, I
install the case cover with security torx screws to keep them out! For
that class of user, I also think that a double-bevel sharpening job on
every metal edge will act as a good concertina-wire substitute.

For the truly incompetent, I have a collection of one-way screws. I'm
looking for something similar in an IDE cable with only one drive
connector per ribbon. In fact, I really like the idea of welding the
case shut.

For _MY_ stuff, I want a case that opens automatically on hydraulic drop
struts perfectly timed so that the case "unrolls" exposing all boards
and accessories with the cables neatly tucked into built in raceways.
All internal locks are swivel cam locks.

Well, while I dreaming, I should add in the need for no IDE or scsi
cables. The drives simply plug into the backplane and auto align on the
hydraulic rolls up/closing process. I'm thinking "transformers" for
PC's.

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 16:01, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> I needed to swap a hard disk on a machine today, and noticed/confirmed
> something about "the ULTIMATE case mod"(tm).
>
> Thumb screws.
>

> Forget lights, furbys, paint jobs, etc. etc. They are all nice, show what
> a creative type you are, and are great for bragging rights.
>
> If there is a chance of a snowball in Hell of ever wanting to switch
> somthing in your case, do yourself (or the next hardware tech) a favor and
> put thumbscrews everywhere they fit and don't endanger fingers with
> unfinished edges.
>
> Thanks for the bandwidth to let me rant & rave...
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part