[ale] OT: GPL and GNU compilers

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu May 8 14:50:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:57:26PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:07:43PM -0400, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> > > If you ask RMS, he'll say that your code must be GPL'd.

> > No he won't. Two reasons. One you give below.

> > >  But what I
> > > understand is that you can dynamically link your software with glibc and
> > > not disclose your source.  If you statically link, then you'll have to
> > > disclose.

> > This is under the presumption that glibc is under the GPL license.

> > It isn't. It's LGPLed. So simply using the library, in any form IIRC, does
> > not transfer the license. However if you actually modified and distributed
> > the library itself, then that code would have to Open Source.

> > That's why there's no worries here.

> > BAJ

> Here is one question.  What happens if I create my own library then
> modify an OSS program to call a function in that library.  I assume
> I must release the modified OSS code in source form but not have to
> release my library.  Maybe just release a stud for that library?

That is slightly gray.  My interpretation is that it is very likely
that you would need to release only the modified OSS program.  The
reality is that with the U.S. legal system (as I don't need to tell
you given your employer), usually whomever has the most money and
aggression will win.  That said, if the GPL code in question is
copyrighted by an upstanding member of the OS community:

  1. He won't have the money to sue.

  2. He won't want to scare people away from OS by suing users.
     (Even most companies, M$ excepted, strongly resist suing
     clients as it scares away other clients.)

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"