[ale] APC UPS

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed May 7 14:55:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Transam wrote:

> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:55:13AM -0400, Hogg, Russell E wrote:
>
> > I'm considering a UPS for home use.  I'm doing some reading now about what
> > numbers matter and what is worth paying for when it comes to a UPS.
>
> > I'm curious what sentiment the group at large has.  Surely a lot of you know
> > more about UPS(es) than I.

<<snip usual excellent response>>

> Regarding surge suppressors (that one should have on peripherals), the

Question time - There used to be power conditioners which were
intermediate between a surge suppressor and a UPS in price. You didn't see
them often, but I haven't seen any in ages. They could tame _big_ power
surges, big short voltage drops, longer slight voltage drops, and in
general clean up the line power to something pretty nice.

Question is are these things still around for sale and worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.

> cheap ones are essentially worthless.  They have merely a diode to
> absorbe

<<snip again>>
> number of spikes, who needs it.  Most outages are for only a few seconds
> so there probably is not a need for most even to bother with the "wire
> the UPS to the computers to shut down the computers stuff".  It IS nice
> to have for commercial use.

Given that I've had two multiday outages and a single day outage in the
last six months, I probably need to reimplement that "shutdown wire"
stuff.