[ale] OT: GPL and GNU compilers

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed May 7 13:04:26 EDT 2003

Nope, glibc is LGPL, so its ok to link against it (unless something has changed?).  If you make any changes to glibc though you do need to give them back.  I personally think all libraries should be LGPL (its a more "free" license then the GPL IMO), but unfortunately some are not (the LM Sensors libs come to mind), so they cannot easily be used in commertial products, without doing some sneaky things, such as writing a small binary that calls the GPL'd code, GPLing that and then calling it from your program with exec.  Its a pain to do it that way, but its one way to get around the linking clause :P

Mike